Staycations are becoming our only way to travel this Summer and many of us are now truly appreciating the beauty that we already have here in Ireland. There’s nothing better than visiting a county you haven’t been to before! The new travel restrictions have got everybody wondering: what hotels are pet-friendly? In this blog, we’ve devised the perfect Staycation checklist, along with a list of pet-friendly hotels in Ireland. What better way to spend your trip than with your pooch right beside you!
- Dog duvet: We recommend the Danish Design Deep Duvet. This comes in a lovely chocolate brown colour and provides a cosy sleep for your dog. The cover is machine washable so there’s no need to worry about your dog dirtying it after a days activities!
- A Dog Crate: This’ll make life so much easier for any owner staying in a hotel or Air BnB (some places require that you bring a crate). Just make sure to throw in a comfy duvet to cosy it up for your pooch. You can read our blog here on how to crate train your dog.
- Dog food: Don’t forget to bring some food and snacks for your pooch! We recommend the Nice N Natural Pure brand which is super premium and provides different varieties tailored to your dogs needs. If you’d like some more info on this brand, check out our blog here.
- Dog bowl: You’ll need a bowl for your dog to eat and drink from.
- Dog Seat Belt: If you’re planning on taking your dog in the car, it’s a good idea to get a seat belt for them for some added safety measures.
- Spotted dog tag: This dog tag connects to your phone through an app which can really put an owners mind at ease, especially if their dog loves running away on adventures!
- HempOne Oil: This oil is beneficial for stress and helps improve appetite and metabolism. This is helpful for any dogs that get travel nerves! Simply add a few drops (maximum 15 drops a day) of the oil into your pets food or water.
- Poop bags: No matter where we go, it is so important to bring poop bags and clean up after our dogs. We recommend Biodegradable Poop Go Bags
- Coolpets Fresh 2Go Water Bottle: With this handy travel water bottle, your dog can drink water anytime, anywhere. It comes with a practical belt-clip and has anti-leak technology. Ideal for on the go!
Pet-friendly hotels in Ireland
Glasson Lakehouse, Athlone, Westmeath
This hotel has a host of amazing Summer Staycation Packages! These include Golf Getaways, Family and Friends Breaks and Couples Escapes. They can all have the dog friendly option added and are available to view here. This stunning hotel is situated right beside the lake and has a large grounds area that’s just perfect for long walks together. Your pooch will love sniffing around and exploring this magical place.
For €15 per dog per night, you’ll be provided with everything you need to clean up after your dog and bowls for food and water. You can also be provided with a map, picnic, walking sticks and a lead for your dog to explore the beautiful Lakeland.
Castlemartyr Resort, Cork
If you’re looking for somewhere isolated and full of beautiful scenery, the Castlemartyr Resort is the perfect spot. Now is the ideal time to visit this magical place – all pet friendly rooms were renovated last year while the gardens also received an upgrade. Upon arrival, your pooch will be greeted with a welcome doggy gift. There’s also a pet concierge service providing details and discounts on groomers, local dog walkers, sitters, and Veterinarians. Looking for good walking routes? You can get a map provided to you which shows the nearby beaches and woods that are ideal for strolls. It’s no wonder this resort was voted Ireland’s Pet Friendly Hotel 2019 at the Gold Medal Awards!
The cost per dog per room is €50 for the first night and €20 for any additional nights. The cost for the self catering lodges is €20 per night or €100 for seven nights. Visit their website here for more information.
The Twelve, Galway
This hotel is situated in the lovely seaside village, Barna. There is an abundance of activities here for you and your pooch – from walks in the nearby parks and bogs, to the beach for a nice swim. Upon arrival, you’ll receive a welcome bag that includes: a welcome certificate, a treat, a toy and a Scoopy Doo bag (to clean up any messes). You’ll also receive bowls for food and water. If you’re in need of any further pet essentials, our Petworld Terryland store is close by!
Note: They only have two pet-friendly rooms which are currently in high demand. If you’re interested in booking one of these rooms, you’ll need to call directly. Visit their website here for further information.
Randles Hotel, Kerry
Explore the Kingdom of Kerry from this beautiful 4-star hotel, nestled amongst the stunning lakes and mountains in Killarney. This place is perfect for anyone who wants to bring their pooch along, with so many different trails and hikes to explore. Plus, it’s just a five minute walk from the town centre with all the tourist attractions nearby so everything you need is within walking distance. For a three night stay for 2 adults, 2 children and their dog it’s €555.00 total.
Note: They have restrictions based on dog size and don’t allow dogs that are on the Banned list. For more information, visit their website here.
Tankardstown House, Meath
This stunning country house and 80 acre estate is full of woodland, parkland and walled gardens for you and your dog to explore. Upon arrival at reception you’ll be taken to their beautifully appointed courtyard cottage suites where your dog will receive a welcome treat and water bowl. If you hate to be apart from your dog, you can even bring them with you for dinner – there are outdoor dining areas so you can enjoy your meal with your pooch by your side. To top it off, there is no extra charge for dogs here! We can’t think of a better way to spend your Staycation. There is also a special Very Important Pooch (V.I.P) package deal that you can book here.
For more information, visit their website here.
Rock Farm, Meath
Fancy trying something different? This isn't a hotel but this glamping site is the perfect getaway from reality! You get your own tent which is situated in the stunning scenic area of Slane in Meath. There is a hot tub, a communal lounge, and much more on site to entertain you.
Note: There’s a €20 fee per dog. You’ll need to bring a crate for your dog to sleep in as well as keep them on a leash in communal areas. Visit their website here for more information.
The Ardilaun Hotel, Galway
This beautiful hotel is located just 2km from Eyre Square in Galway. Here, they have the lovely Garden Rooms which lead out to their stunning gardens, giving you and your dog easy access to the outdoors. These rooms also have a patio area, where you can sit and relax with your pooch. It's no surprise that this hotel was voted Pet Friendly Destination of the year 2020 by Georgina Campbells Ireland!
Note: There's a €20 fee per night per dog for these rooms. You must also call directly in order to book the pet-friendly rooms. Find out more info on their website here.
The above details were correct on date of publishing. We recommend checking with the hotel for updated information.
Petworld is not affiliated with any of these hotels in any way, these reviews are based on recommendations from customers and team members.