When getting a rabbit it is important to understand the responsibility that comes with it. Knowing how to clean a rabbit cage properly is essential for maintaining your fluffy friends health. While rabbits are adorable little balls of fluff, they love leaving stinky messes in their cage for us to clean up. Their enclosures can get incredibly dirty very quickly. That's why it's important to stick to both a daily and weekly cleaning routine to ensure your rabbit has a clean and comfortable living space.
- Leave just one corner untouched (rabbits like to mark their scent and get stressed when they feel like they are entering a new habitat).
- Check every morning and evening to make sure that there is food and water in their bowl.
1. Set up a temporary safety pen that you can place your rabbit into when you are doing your cleaning.
2. Using gloves, remove all old litter and replace it with fresh litter.
3. Take out any fresh food that has not been eaten.
4. Clean up any soiled materials.
5. Rinse the food bowl and clean the water bottle. Refill the bottle with fresh water and put fresh food into the bowl.
6. Ensure that you have replaced all necessary materials back into the cage such as hay, litter, food and bedding.
6. Once you have completed these steps, place your rabbit back in his fresh cosy pen.
1. Place your rabbit in his temporary safety pen while cleaning.
2. Remove everything from the enclosure. Dispose of waste and put any accessories to the side.
3. Scrub clean all accessories such as toys, water bottles and food bowls.
4. Wipe down the enclosure and remove any stubborn stains. Let all your washed items air dry.
5. Replace all bedding, litter, hay, food and water before placing your rabbit back in their enclosure.
It's important to routinely clean your rabbits cage, not just to keep it fresh but also for your rabbits health. If you're concerned for your rabbits well being, please see our blog on how to check their health.
If you have any more rabbit questions on your mind, just call into your local Petworld Store where our helpful and knowledgeable staff will be happy to help and answer your questions.