“The crate can be a warm, cosy and safe environment, beneficial for you, your pooch and the entire family.”Petworld
At home, we all have our own space where we go to relax at the end of a long day, or retreat to if we want some peace and tranquility. For your pooch, a crate can be this place! When used correctly the crate can be a warm, cosy and safe environment, beneficial for you, your pooch and the entire family. Continue reading to find out the best way to crate train your dog.
Benefits of Crate Training
You might be wondering why you should use a crate for your pup? Here we will take you through some of the benefits.
A crate has many benefits for a puppy:
- Acts as a place of privacy and security.
- Allows a pup to easily be included in family outings.
- Allows a pup to associate ‘potty’ with the outdoors – making toilet training easier.
- Permits a puppy to always be in familiar surroundings, thereby reducing feelings of fear, isolation or anxiety.
A crate has many benefits for a pet parent:
- Allows you peace of mind knowing that your pet is safe and secure when home alone.
- Allows you to limit your dogs access to the remainder of the house. Once the dogs training improves, his/her access can be increased.
- Benefits the entire family as once a pet is crate trained, they can go everywhere the family goes!
Now that we know the benefits of crate training, let’s talk how you can crate train your puppy.
First things first – Buy your pooch the perfect crate. Make sure it’s the perfect size, with enough room to stand, stretch and lie down. You also want to be able to fit your pet’s favourite toy, bowl, feeding mat and cosy blanket in there so bear this in mind when purchasing. Next, place the crate in a location your pet approves of – remember your pet is part of the family. A room where the pet can interact with the family, but also rest peacefully is ideal – a sitting room or kitchen/living area would do just the trick!
Crate Training Bundle
If you’d like everything you need in one hassle-free purchase, we have the Crate Training Bundles available in store and online. These bundles include everything you need to train your pooch, including:
- Dogit Wire 2 Door Black Wire Dog Crate (x1)
- Four Paws Wee Wee Urine Eliminator Stain Odour Destroyer (x1)
- Petface Puppy Pads 14pk (x1)
- Johnsons Puppy and Kitten Trainer (x1)
You can read more about these bundles in our blog here.
Tips & Tricks
Now that you have a paw-some crate in your home, it’s time to get started! Consider the following tips:
- Gradually introduce your pet to the crate – try making it an enjoyable place for them by adding some of their favourite treats or toys.
- Leave the crate door open, so they don’t feel confined.
- Praise them when they go into the crate, this rewards and encourages.
- Feed your pup in the crate, place the bowl near the entrance so they feel safe.
- Once comfortable in the crate, close the door for a short time during feeding. The food will act as a distraction from the closed crate, normalising it.
- Gradually shut the crate door for longer periods, until your pup is fully comfortable in a closed crate.
- As they become more relaxed in a closed crate, you can begin to leave the room for extended time periods until your pup is content with being on their own in a closed crate.
Congrats! The hard work is now done and you have successfully crate trained your pup.
The important thing to remember is that, like all good things, learning how to crate train your pup takes time. But once successful the benefits are tenfold for your pets (and your families) well-being and happiness.
Have any additional questions or concerns? Feel free to pop into your local Petworld store and our expert staff will answer any questions you may have!