Lets admit it, pets are like a member of our family! And, like any family member they need to be cared for, looked after and given some TLC. This involves cleaning their teeth and looking after their dental hygiene. As February is Pet Dental Month, it is the perfect time to focus on cleaning our pets teeth. In this post we will talk you through why you should and how you can clean your pets teeth.
"Your pet needs correct dental hygiene to maximize the quality and quantity of their life." Petworld
Why should you clean your pets teeth?
Believe it or not, dental hygiene is just as important for our furry friends as it is for us. Moreover, properly cared for teeth support a pets overall holistic wellness and happiness.
- Dental problems are common in small animals. It is estimated that 85% of dogs and cats suffer from a periodontal disease by three years of age.
- Dental problems are extremely painful for our beloved pets.
- Dental problems lead to other serious health problems.
How should you clean your pets teeth?
The easiest way to stay on top of your pets dental hygiene is by brushing their teeth every day. Thankfully, if you follow the below tips, the process can be an easy one.
- Firstly, begin to brush your pets teeth at an early age.
- Secondly, give your pet time to become familiar with the process. Start by getting your pet used to you being around their mouth. Then, use a sort cloth to clean their teeth, gently rubbing in a circular motion.
- Next, introduce a toothbrush and toothpaste. Note: Human toothpaste should never be used as it is poisonous to pets.
- Once familiar with a toothbrush, clean their teeth from front to back, in a side to side motion. Build up the time spent daily until you spend 45 seconds in each half of the mouth.
- Again, it is important to brush your pets teeth daily. Plaque that isn’t cleaned within 24-48 hours will become tartar, which is more difficult to remove.
- Finally, praise and reward your pet throughout the process. Soon, they will enjoy the experience!
If you want to learn more about your pets dental hygiene options, call into your local Petworld store where our helpful and knowledgeable staff will be happy to talk you through your pets dental hygiene options.